Default Mercury


If I must deduct points over the life of my mortgage, and I have a 30 year mortgage, does this mean that I divide the points paid by 30 and enter that amount on Schedule A?

No, you don't divide the points by 30. If you choose to use the straight-line method, you need to divide the points by the number of payments over the term of the loan and deduct points for a year according to the number of payments made in the year. If the loan ends prematurely, due to payoff or refinance with a different lender, for example, then the remaining points are deducted in that year. Points not included in Form 1098 (PDF) (usually not included on a refinance) should be entered on Form 1040, Schedule A (PDF), Itemized Deductions. For more information, refer to Publication 936, Home Mortgage Interest Deduction; and Tax Topic 504, Home Mortgage Points.

See related Item: http://

Go back