Default Mercury

Lead Paint

What is the treatment for lead poisoning?

Treatment of a lead poisoned child starts with finding and removing the lead hazards to which the child is exposed. This will include a lead inspection of the child's home, and if lead hazards are identified, deleading of the home. Medical treatment depends on the child's blood lead level and the child's response to the removal of the lead source. Parents will be taught about protecting their child from lead exposure. They will need to watch the child's progress through frequent blood tests. If necessary, the child may receive special drugs to help rid his body of excess lead. With this treatment, drugs are given daily for as long as several weeks. Sometimes this must be done more than once. A child who has been lead poisoned will need a lot of blood tests for a year or more. He or she should be tested for learning problems before starting school.

See related Item: http://

Go back